April 21, 2015– Atlanta, GA– Happy 4/20! Now, if this means nothing to you, that’s ok. If you’re celebrating 4/20 as you read this post, that’s ok. If you’re tired of hearing about 4/20., that’s ok too! But yesterday was full of conversations about Mary Jane herself, well at least in the world I live in.
Disclaimer to the reader: I know, I’m a day late. Let’s just say punt intended.
What is 4/20?
Yes, yesterday was April 20, 2015 (calendar date 4/20). But there’s much more to this story. OK, so after surfing the world-wide web, I didn’t really find a clear answer on how this day became so popular. After many forgetful conversations, and 4:20 celebrations, the real truth must have gotten misplaced over the decades.
Whatevs, here’s what Wikipedia says:
A group of people in San Rafael, California, calling themselves the Waldos because “their chosen hang-out spot was a wall outside the school”, used the term in connection with a fall 1971 plan to search for an abandoned cannabis crop that they had learned about.
Multiple failed attempts to find the crop eventually shortened their phrase to simply “4:20”, which ultimately evolved into a code word that the teens used to mean marijuana-smoking in general.
Basically, 4:20 is a celebration of the cannibus culture— worldwide. How many “illegal substances” get their own INTERNATIONAL holiday? I see you Mary!
One thing is for sure, with 4 states legalizing the use of medical marijuana, perhaps the conversations througthout the U.S.A. won’t seem so taboo in years to come. As for me, I’m ok with paying homage to the tree.
As a belle in the city, and person who went to college, it’s only right that I share my personal 5 truths about 420….
5 Truths About 420
1. Everything is better with a bag of weed. Music festivals, live concerts, parties, vacations, road trips, creative brainstorming sessions, music, studying… Yeah, they just seem much better when Mary is invited.
2. People who celebrate 420 probably celebrate all year-long. Let’s just be honest. And they can smell it a mile away. It’s almost like a group of dogs running when they smell food…
“Somebody’s got it!”
3. There is always that one friend, who sure knows how to find it. Or knows who has it, who is about to get it, and how long it will take to get.
4. It’s cross-cultural and multi-cultural. How many “illegal drugs” are welcome across cultures— races, creeds, origins, states, cities, political parties (Yeah, I said it)? Mary is one cool chick. Not to mention all the random besties made, thanks to Mary.
5. This is the face you make when someone asks do you smoke weed, whether you do, or don’t.
Wiz Khalifa –> Kush & Orange Juice, you can play that from beginning to end
3-6 Mafia –> Smoke that Weed’
Drake –> All Drake Songs, especially “Know Yourself”
Rick James –> Mary Jane