Free Drinks! This event is brought to you by (insert adult beverage company).
Okay, I get it. Drinking is fun, social, and a great way to “network.” But, I’m noticing a trend among my peers, and it involves the rush to have a free drink. Now let me be FIRST to say, there is nothing wrong with enjoying the luxury of a free event, especially with free alcohol, and free admission, but one must choose his or her attendance wisely. Why? Well, there’s a list for that below, hear me out on this one. Above all, our personal brand is far more valuable than helping a big brand appear to be reaching their targeted audience. Actually, as of 2017, influencer marketing is the new normal and the power is in the consumer’s hand–not so much the company.
To my fellow millennials–is that all it takes for you to spend your valuable, priceless, time at an event— a mere drink?
Why You Should Choose Your RSVP’s WISELY:
- The event could literally have nothing to do with your actual growth. If the event does not align with your professional or personal life goals: don’t go. You’ll end up wasting an entire evening–2 hours even–on learning more about nothing.
- Peer networking isn’t the greatest form of networking. If you’re attending simply to kick-it then be my guest, but if you’re going because all of your homegirls are going too–then that’s probably not the type of “networking” you want to participate in. There’s power in exclusivity.
- Your time is actually more valuable than the alcohol being served at the event. Let’s say you down, 3 drinks during this random event. Most drinks are about $10 bucks a pop, drinking $30 within a 2-hour window. You helped this brand reach ALL of your social networks, for $30 and you didn’t get anything in return–but 3 drinks. So you just sold your personal brand using social currency for $30.. meanwhile, the event company that actually executed the even was retained at $6500– for the same 2 hours. #WOW Social currency is the NEW DOLLAR.. spend yours wisely!
- Personal brand integrity is knowing when to say nah, I’m straight. There are two types of people: people who are everywhere, and people who are always where they need to be. It’s obvious when a person is invited to the event, and when the person heard about the event, so don’t be thaaat guest. Influence is built over time, and to truly master the art of being the Most-Highly Sought After VIP Guest on ANY influencer marketing company’s list– you have to show them that your presence is earned, not given freely in exchange for free drinks.
- Standards matter. There are just some liquor companies I don’t rock with, because I know their target audience. For those reasons, I won’t be at their event–simply stated. See, what’s hot right now is–free alcohol, go. But this is a trend that is slowly fading away. Since MOST brands are hosting activations left and right, coupled with a cool nationwide Snapchat filter campaign–they will be trying to figure out how to do things differently. The next level of brands setting a new standard? Quality over quantity. The endorsements from the right people, as opposed to a lot of people.
So, what do you think? Are you on your way to yet another liquor sponsored event, or are you going to use the steps listed above before you hit the Yes, I’m Attending button?
Whichever you choose, do so with class and style… because your RSVP holds more weight than you think!
Your favorite Belle in the City,